Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Change

As some of you know, we have been struggling with some issues pertaining to Cole's kindergarten situation at Challenger. Things have not been working out as we had hoped. Their Kindergarten program is a complete opposite from the wonderful nurturing preschool environment that he had experienced last year. Kindergarten has been sterile, militant and just down right full of ridiculous expectations for 5 year old children. After we returned from Disneyland I began seriously looking at other schooling options for Cole. With much thought and prayer we withdrew him from Challenger and enrolled him at Merryhill. Friday was his last day at Challenger and tomorrow begins a new adventure at Merryhill. Upon touring their school I was very impressed with the classrooms, the teachers, and all the "extras" that Kindergartners need to grow and develop. The kids didn't look miserable, in fact they were smiling and actually having fun. I can't wait for Cole to jump in and experience Kindergarten as it should be experienced. Interestingly enough in his new classroom he will be the third transfer from Challenger this year alone. And I know that a couple more student are leaving this week and considering Merryhill as well. I guess we weren't alone in our feelings after all.

9 comments:

Carin said...

Sorry that poor Cole had such a hard time with his kindergarten class I am really glad you found someplace better.

Kristi said...

YOu are so right, kindergarten shouldn't be such a demanding experience for little ones. I hope that the new school will be a much better experience for Cole!

Stephanie Anne said...

I am just glad that there aren't any spelling tests ;)

Jan Russell said...

Okay, so spelling tests were the first thing that came to my mind too - that does sound intense for Kindergarten! I hope the more relaxed atmosphere at his new school will make his learning experience more fun! Does he still get to wear a cute uniform or do you need to go shopping?

Dave and Gretchen said...

You know exactly what I think....

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW, COLEY-BUG!

Holly Child said...

I'm excited to hear of Cole's new Kindergarten adventures! :o) Glad it worked out!

The Frosts said...

Oh man. I can so relate to your post. I am having some of the same issues with C's class. 5 kids have transferred out so far this year. I think his is more the teacher than anything. I'm debating on what to do too. I'm sure he'll thrive in his new environment. I never knew it could be so hard with a Kindergartener!

Michelle Smith said...

Good luck Coley!!!

Cammie said...

So I guess I just needed to read farther down to get the story. I'm sorry he was having a miserable time, but it looks like things are only getting better for him!

Spelling tests in kindergarten?? Really?