Saturday, August 30, 2008

The First Week of School


...did not go as planned.

I just assumed Cole would love it and it would be smooth sailing. He was so excited and has been talking about being in Kindergarten forever. He couldn't wait to buy his uniforms and be an "older kid". But then the first day of school happened and they told the students there was going to be a fire drill during the first week and Cole was horrified. All week I took my sweet, sobbing, petrified child to school, told him things would be ok and then had to leave him there. It was gut wrenching! I would get out to the car and just bawl, I had never felt so helpless. But when I picked him up everyday he would be smiling which was a good sign that things went well. On top of his fire drill anxieties the whole new routine of Kindergarten didn't sit well with him. He has been so used to just waking up and watching cartoons, playing toys and leisurely eating his breakfast, that all changed. At school there were more rules than pre-school so that was a bummer, the school work is harder and there is homework. But he likes his friends and teachers so that is good. And they never did have that darn fire drill, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

It was nice knowing that a 3 day weekend was on the horizon so we could all recuperate from this stressful week. I'm hoping that after a couple of weeks the routine will become the norm and the anxieties will subside and that Kindergarten will shape up to be a good thing for Cole.

6 comments:

Cammie said...

I am nearly in tears about the fire drill too. That's so sad. I hope next week is better. Getting into a new routine is always hard for kids (and moms). I'm sure things will get better, he'll be dragging you there in no time!

Dave and Gretchen said...

I agree with Cammie. New years are always hard on everyone, but they always become routine. You guys both did awesome this week. He'll be fine because he knows he has a great mommy (and daddy) supporting him.

Jan Russell said...

He's such a CUTE Kindergartner! I'm sure all the bumps will get smoothed out...hugs to you both, this is such a big transition!

Hilary said...

It is a hard adjustment. I bet it will soon be his favorite thing ever.

Kristi said...

oh, poor boy! Like you said, it's probably just a matter of making it a routine, and making sure he gets plenty of sleep. Have a fun Holiday weekend!

The Frosts said...

I can so commisserate with you on this. Kindy has been a very hard adjustment for us here and for many of the same reasons. We had a very very laid back summer and I don't think that has helped the transition much. I hope it gets better. A month into it and C is finally coming home saying that school was good. Sigh. He sure does look adorable in his big boy uniform though